Thursday, August 30, 2012

Visiting Van Gogh

When we arrived in Amsterdam, our program advisors gave us a big folder full of lots of information and various envelopes. One of the envelopes had a museum card inside, which, upon first glance, might not seem like the most exciting little piece of plastic... But let me tell you, it is WONDERFUL. This museum card allows us to:

a) get into every museum in Amsterdam for free
b) SKIP THE LINES!!

So on Sunday, when it was pouring rain (literally a torrential downpour), we decided to do something scholarly (for once) and check out the Van Gogh museum. And I loved it!

Museum Square!
First of all, skipping a long line of miserable tourists huddled under umbrellas felt absolutely incredible. And then to be able to avoid paying the usual 14 Euros was even better! You're not allowed to take photos inside the museum, but I snuck a few (not very good!) pictures on my iPhone. I also got a poster of my favorite Van Gogh sunflower piece for my room. I have it hanging right above my bed and it makes me happy every time I look at it. Sunflowers are my absolute favorite flower!

The museum was four stories high! I snuck this from the third floor. :)



The poster above my bed looks just like this! Van Gogh
painted an entire series with sunflowers.
I definitely want to go back to this museum. It was very relaxing and, because it was free, I felt no pressure to stay for an extraordinarily long time or to analyze a painting with a huge crowd of people in front. Maybe if I ever feel the need to escape from my dorm on a rainy day, I'll go back to visit Mr. Van Gogh. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment