Monday, September 10, 2012

Eating My Way Through Life (Plus a Trip to the Zoo)

These next few posts are long overdue! I just got back from a weekend in Barcelona and it was amazinggg - I can't even begin to express my love for this city! But I'm exhausted. Absolutely dead. (Also broke...sorry Dad) So this week is all about recovering, relaxing, reading (wait, am I here for school??), saving money and most importantly, CATCHING UP ON THIS BLOG! A post on Barcelona will be next. :)

About a week ago I went on a food tour of Amsterdam! A group of about 20 of the most dedicated foodies from my program met in the city center for a special Dutch eating adventure. We expected lots of yummy samples. What we didn't expect? For the tour to be on bike. While this might not seem like a big deal, trust me, it makes things wayyyy more difficult. Imagine 20 relatively inexperienced American college students attempting to ride bikes through a city of narrow one-way streets and canals packed with ignorant tourists, cars, mopeds and hundreds of other agressive bicyclists. Yep. Now you get it. It was a very chaotic 2 hours filled with numerous near-collisions, but also extremely fun and informative. I tasted my first bite of traditional Dutch pickled herring! And learned about all the best spots to get food with the locals. I can't wait to try all the restaurants on my new list!

Pickled herring. Surprisingly not bad!!

Hidden gem: a macaroon store!

The stroopwaffle macaroon. ABSOLUTE HEAVEN.

Then I tasted a real fresh stroopwaffle (the Dutch traditional dessert). And I realized
how wrong I was about the macaroon. A REAL STROOPWAFFLE is the most amazing
thing in the entire world. Never eat one. You'll end up addicted just like me.

I learned that the best place to have a delicious slice of Dutch apple pie in Amsterdam is at a little café called Winkle...so of course I had to go back to find out for myself! Anne and I skipped out on the drinks one school night and opted for a quiet night of coffee and apple pie. I had no regrets. :)

Winkle's apple pie! (and a coffee to wash it down)

A few other delicious finds with the girls:

Traditional dutch muesli with plain yogurt...one of my new favorite breakfasts!

The cutest café I've been to so far! I loved the homemade shortbread they served on the side.

YUM. The bread and cheese in Amsterdam are just incredible. I could eat this sandwich everyday.

One of our favorite cafes is conveniently right around the corner from our dorms!
Olivia loves their hot chocolate.

And this café is right on the canal! It's the perfect atmosphere for sitting outside at night.

On the same day that I went on the food tour, I took a trip to the Amsterdam zoo! I haven't been to the zoo at home in ages, but I love animals!! So of course I had a blast. I took a gajillion pictures of random furry blurs, but for your sake (and so I don't bore you even more than I probably already am) I'll just post a few of the better shots.

















Baby gorilla and Papa! So cute!
With each day that I'm in Amsterdam, I fall in love with my new home more and more. It's such a beautiful and unique city. I'm so lucky! Sending lots of love to all my friends and family at home! Miss you guys!! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment